April 12, 2021
- Along with TIFF, JPG, and PNG formats, TTP now supports viewing and scanning HEIC and RAW images using Microsoft-supplied image drivers. To test whether you have the appropriate drivers available on your system:
- Launch TTP. From the Help menu, select Diagnostics, then select Check RAW & HEIC Image Support. This function launches a window and attempts to display a HEIC and a RAW formatted image. If you can view the images, you’re all set. If you cannot view the images, you will need to install the necessary drivers. (see page 4 of the User Guide, also available from the Help menu.)
- Updated suggestion algorithm such that faces in identical or nearly identical images are not overlooked.
- Increase allowable memory usage for recognition engine.
- Implement method to clean up any suggestions for faces in rare instances where tagging an unidentified face can leave an orphaned suggestion for that face.
- Address a bug where TTP erroneously removes references to images and faces associated with images within local TTP folders. For example, this would occur in cases where an excluded folder "P:\Oly" would cause TTP to erroneously clean up images in "P:\Olympics_2010”.
- Address a rare issue in folder scan job that can cause premature abort if an image isn't located where the database suggests it is located.
- Fix an issue where a lone, unclustered and unidentified face can be orphaned under certain circumstances.
February 25, 2021
- Last Scan Date: new column added to search list. This tracks the last time an image was scanned by TTP. This can be used to sort more recently added images when conducting a Search of any folder and these images can be reviewed via the Photo Viewer.
- Save Last Backup Location: Easily re-use same location when running another backup.
- Fix a bug to ensure the library scan rules apply correctly.
- Prevent arrow key navigation on Photo Details dialog when selecting manual face, as well as when using the person naming tool.
- Address synchronization issues that could occur with the library scan rules dialog.
- Fix intermittent crash on Unidentified Face viewer when screen resize events occur.
- Clicking "cancel" on scan rules dialog will not cause a folder scan. Clicking "save" will launch a folder scan to determine images to be included or excluded change per Rules changes.
January 21, 2021
- Fix bug where file scan could error out if previously undetected folder structure changes were made.
- Retired the feature to rebuild thumbnail images as it was no longer necessary. Replaced with a function to regenerate all the face thumbnails from source images for the entire database, which runs as an interruptible background task.
January 11, 2021
- TTP data can be backed up, restored, and reset. See Options on the Settings screen for Personal and Family Plan subscribers.
- Ability to restore a backup from one machine to another if the image paths match.
- The library rules dialog no longer forces you to wait while it does an initial folder scan. The tree view populates dynamically as the folders are scanned in the background. Dialog can be closed/resumed at any time.
- Improved the underlying file monitoring system so it is more defensive in the event of an unexpected interruption or issue.
- Identified and fixed a crash scenario involving the Unidentified Person view.
- Fixed a bug where you could force the rescan of a sub folder of an excluded folder and it would re-add those images (they would be purged again on the next full library scan).
- Fixed a bug where the image count of a folder scan would be out of sync with the actual image count.
- Fixed a bug where the routine that determined the total number of files to process would not account for files in excluded folders. These files would be skipped, but the progress would then finish before it reached 100%.
TTP will no longer add hidden sub-folders to a library
- Fix to allow TTP to correctly generate thumbnails for jpgs with indexed pixel formats when the thumbnail rectangle extends outside of the image boundaries.
- Fixed an issue where, on occasion, the "Uninstaller" would not correctly shut down the SDK processes, which might result in a file lock error when re-installing Tag That Photo.
December 14, 2020
- Fix to allow TTP to correctly generate thumbnails for jpegs with indexed pixel formats when the thumbnail rectangle extends outside of the image boundaries.
- Change the underlying file monitoring system to be more defensive in the event of an unexpected interruption or issue.
- Fix an issue where, occassionally, the "Uninstaller" would not correctly shut down the SDK processes, which might result in a file lock error when re-installing Tag That Photo.
December 4, 2020
- Right-click on a Face thumbnail: You can select "Regenerate from Source Image" if the wrong face/person is appearing.
- New feature on Settings page for Data Recovery including:
- Rebuild Face Thumbnails: If you notice thumbnails missing when paging through People, Suggestions, or Unknowns, this indicates the thumbnail database is possibly corrupted. Thumbnails are extracted from the original image to make the display happen quickly.
- Reconcile Faces with Recognition Engine: In rare cases, the underlying recognition database won't have a record of Faces that are being tagged. This can be caused by disk corruption or power failures. If you are experiencing repeated errors then it may be necessary to run this task.
- Modifications made to trial subscription time periods: 20-day and 40-day trial periods.
- More robust manual face tagger: The aspect ratio is maintained under a variety of image types. Most importantly, immediately upon saving the face, Tag That Photo takes you directly to the naming dialog, saving a keystroke/mouse-click.
October 15, 2020
- TTP new face detection module exposes a quality value for each detected face. This is now used for two purposes: 1) reduces duplicate faces found and 2) a detected face quality of 9.0 or higher is required before that face is included in suggestions for the recognition system.
- Significant improvements in the background job processor. It now consists of three separate task queues, distinguished by priority. Each task is automatically assigned a priority of High, Normal, or Low. When a task is queued up, if it's assigned a higher priority than any currently running task, that task is paused and the higher priority task executes immediately. This improves the screen response time during tagging, among other benefits.
- Fixes for crashes on the Suggestions screen related to deleted faces; and other minor fixes.
July 31, 2020
- All detected faces are identified when viewing the photo thumbnail in the right hand pane AND in the Photo Viewer - previously only the selected face was highlighted.
- Yellow border used for selected face; green border for tagged face; and red border for unknown face.
- Modifications to information display at bottom of main window to expand file - names shown while write or scanning activity is happening.
- Double-clicking on faces will pop-up the tagging utility just as if you clicked on the ellipsis (3 dots) button.
- Face thumbnails sorted in Photo Viewer right-hand pane based on identification status - Unknowns to bottom/right of list
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- DELETE key available across the application to delete currently selected faces (CTRL+Z to Undo).
- CTRL+DEL on photo viewer screen will delete all unknowns.
- CTRL+DEL on unidentified faces screen,will mark all thumbnails shown on current page for deletion.
- CTRL+A will select All for every screen that supports multi-selection
- ESC will clear any existing selections (essentially a reset)
- Added a root node in the search results tree - so that images spanning root library folders would be available for review and export.
- Certain navigation steps were causing crashes - from one screen to another.Modifications to the face detector to pick up smaller and lower quality faces.
June 26, 2020
- Modifications to the face detector to pick up smaller and lower quality faces.
- Increased number of results in Search to unlimited from previous limit of 500 per Search.
- In Search view, added a folder browser for search results. Allows user to navigate search results based on the folders that the images are found.
- Image rotation available (for Personal and Family Plans).
Metadata writing MUST be enabled due to rotation being written into the Exif info so that other applications will also perform the proper rotation.
- Found in the following locations:
- Photo Viewer Edit menu (Edit -> Rotate Left/Right).
Rotate images in 90 degree increments - left or right
- Search view header menu section beside the “Export” and “View/tag” options.
- Right-click option on thumbnails in the search results list.
- Photo Viewer Edit menu (Edit -> Rotate Left/Right).
- Found in the following locations:
- Known issues related to rotation:
- TIF files: TTP uses the Windows operating system to generate thumbnails of images for display purposes in search results. Windows does not correctly recognize the orientation attribute embedded into TIF images, so regardless of a TIF's rotation it will appear in its native, unrotated form in the results view. However, TTP can now correctly read/write orientation attribute to TIF images, so viewing the photo in Photo Viewer or anywhere else in TTP where the full-size image is displayed will have it rotated correctly.
- Some PNG files cannot be rotated by modifying the Exif orientation attribute because the image has no Exif section to write the data into.
- Known issues related to rotation:
- Exclude existing image metadata regions that did not include a name. Some images from older iPhones had empty XMP face tags with references to a contact ID number but no name.
- Add additional checks around folder tree accessibility. This protects you if your photos are located on a removable drive or network drive and temporarily unavailable. Instead of removing the images from the library - a warning is provided.
- Prompt user when root library path not accessible.
- Fix rare crash issue that occurred in Unidentified Faces screen.
March 9, 2020
- Improved face recognition for greater suggestion accuracy and unidentified faces clustering. On initial run, a status message stating "rebuilding face clusters" will appear at the bottom right of the task bar in the application.
- Fix to geo-tagging feature to address OpenMapServer API issues.
- Uses new Microsoft runtime for recognition engine.
February 7, 2020
- Added a “Cancel” button to the library folder rules window.
Added a “Update Metadata” button in the Settings view.
- Metadata importer correctly reads MWG regions when the unit attribute is missing.
- MS Photo region treats “.” character as a decimal separator regardless of locale.
- Title and Description treated as separate metadata fields; allows more flexibility in adding metadata.
November 14, 2019
- New feature to "Force Write" image metadata to selected image(s). Access at the File menu of the Photo Viewer utility, as well as via file or folder selection in Windows File Explorer (WFE) using the shell extension.
- Regenerates individual image thumbnails in People View, Suggestions View and Unidentified Faces view (if missing).
- Improved image metadata formatting issue based on user feedback. Output from TTP is now completely compatible with applications that read/write MWG metadata correctly, for example, jAlbum and GeoSetter.
- Improved “Regenerate All Thumbnails” to effectively respond to use cases.
October 22, 2019
- Imports MWG face regions in the iMatch format to resolve compatibility issue reported by user.
- Implement a new shell extension feature to force a re-scan of all images in a folder. To use, right-click on a folder and choose "Force re-scan of all images in this folder”.
- Fixed bug causing system to “hang” in specific user scenarios when writing metadata.
- Fixed a bug where an image was sometimes erroneously removed if multiple libraries pointed to the same folder and one library was removed.
September 27, 2019
- User able to select log level from Settings. Higher trace levels require more space but offer more detail when trouble-shooting a user issue. No need to modify from the Tag That Photo Default setting unless user is experiencing an issue.
- Photo Viewer description expanded to maximum of 2,000 chars and displays on multiple lines.
- People Chooser allows searching for any character in a name rather than "starts with". This will allow searching on last names.
- Modification to location/address module for improved mapping to the four (4) available metadata fields.
- Fix crash bug on People Details Face Gallery screen.
- Improved import of images that are pixel-level duplicates of other images but have differences in metadata.
August 30, 2019
- Added a feature to completely rebuild the face thumbnails database. Choose File->Rebuild Face Thumbnail Database.
- Added a switch in Settings that enables option to write face names to metadata keywords.
- Writes face regions & names in both MWG and MS MPRI formats.
- Writes face names to IPTC "PeopleInImage" location.Reads from EXIF & IPTC description.
- Reads and writes "DateTime Taken" in EXIF and IPTC locations.
- Reads and writes Keywords from EXIF and IPTC & XMP locations.
- Reads and writes GPS & Address information from / to EXIF/IPTC/XMP.
- Changed toggle styling on batch-tagging screen to use radio buttons instead of styled link text.
- Stability improvements.
- The Photo Viewer dialog enables batch tagging of images.
- Photo Viewer allows modification of image Date / Time Taken.
- Photo Viewer allows modification of image Description / Caption.
- Face names now import as keywords.
- TTP no longer displays empty pop-up window when typing in a text box and there are no suggestion results.
- Fixed bug where the People View filter box wasn't resetting after leaving and returning to the screen.
June 10, 2019
- Improved synchronization between background operations propagating to the front-end UI.
- Greatly improved speed on scheduled folder scanning. Initial scans will not be affected, but subsequent scheduled scans are faster as Tag That Photo now only checks for a change on the file last write time vs comparing a pixel hash for every image being tracked.
- Newly detected images in a folder are processed first; then changed items; then removed items.
- Fixed bug where certain accented characters were not being properly handled in the People Chooser view.
- Fixed bug where a confirmation prompt generated an endless stream of confirmation boxes, depending on certain factors.