MAY 12, 2022
- New “Regenerate Clusters and Suggestions” option at bottom of Settings page. This feature will clear the recognition database, and reload the database with existing faces - both known and unknown. It has been shown in our testing to improve the Suggestions. This does not require a rescan.
- New default sort order for displaying face thumbnails for individual People. The thumbnails that are marked as “favorite” will now display first. It is important to remove any faces marked as “favorite” (denoted by the Star icon) that are not in focus or generally good representations of that person as this will affect recognition results.
The Exiftool utility is embedded to assist in repairing images that Tag That Photo can’t write to or update metadata. Exiftool is a popular utility that supports a wide variety of image formats. It has been shown to improve the overall reliability of updating metadata.
- Fixed Person rename feature.
- Fixed force rescan issue with deleted images.
- Fixed a memory issue that was limiting the number of Unknown faces Tag That Photo could load into memory at one time. This contributed to fewer suggestions on those photo libraries containing tens of thousands of Unknown faces.
- Added a tooltip to display the face thumbnail type upon mouse hover over the dot located at the bottom left of each thumbnail.
- Fixed the casing to enable upper and lowercase changes when renaming People.
- Improved the info message when deleting People to better describe the action and results based on chosen options.
- Added option to double-click the folder row and present the rule window when making photo library changes.
- Fixed file folder rule implementation when skipping files.
- Added a check to change the Library Scan Rules view height according to screen resolution.
- Fixed the “[Apply to All Remaining] Names” button not executing properly on Unknowns.
FEBRUARY 10, 2022
- Most significant new feature is a new face recognition system that provides greater accuracy via "face templates". To enable the new system, a full rescan of images is required and must complete before Suggestions will start to show improved results.
- IMPORTANT TO NOTE BEFORE CLICKING "ACCEPT": Please take into account that the scan rate is approximately 1,000 faces per hour.
- If for some reason, the full scan is interrupted, it will resume where it left off.
- New face templates will be generated for each face during the scan. TTP automatically selects up to 50 face templates per person based on quality. In the image below, the orange star denotes a favorite face has been auto-selected by TTP. Limiting face templates to 50 per person limits the total size of the recognition database. By doing so, TTP’s face recognition accuracy and performance is greatly improved. (The green checkmark denotes this is the person's identifying image for this person.)
- Should a user prefer to select different face templates, or override the automatic face template selections, this is easily done by manually selecting/deselecting the favorite face star in the upper right. When selected, the star is orange. When deselected, the color is grey. A maximium of 50 additional identifying face templates can be selected for a maximum of 100 face templates per person. This does not limit the number of face tags per person. Users are still able to tag thousands of faces per person.
- Auto regeneration of thumbnails where a significant difference is identified between the metadata face outline and the TTP face detection result.
- Each thumbnail now shows a color-coded dot at the bottom left corner:
- Black dot - The face was detected by TTP only with no existing tag.
- Orange dot - There is a matching metadata face tag.
- Red dot - Identifies a manually created face.
- Purple dot - A metadata face tag existed but no matching TTP face was found. This typically denotes a poor quality face as demonstrated in the example below.
- Better reconciliation of metadata face tags with face tags identified by TTP’s face detection method.
- Fixed list of recently tagged names, bringing the last used to the top.
- Fixed “undo” in Photo Viewer when suggestions are created due to tagging a face.
- Fixed issue syncing Image Preview Pane when some change is made in Photo Viewer.
- Fixed Photo Viewer not opening after regenerating face in People Details view.
- Fixed blank page in Suggested tab that occasionally appeared after tagging all faces in a cluster.
- Fixed the Metadata Keyword query to accept semicolons as part of the tag - not splitting the tag and using it as a delimiter/separator.
- Improved keyword display in the Keywords List view.
NOVEMBER 6, 2021
- Multiple tags/keywords created using third-party software can be copied and pasted together as keywords in TTP, for example: xxx; yyy;zzz;www. No issue if there is a space or not between the keywords; however, the separator/delimiter must be a semi-colon. Simply copy/paste/enter.
- Modification to how TTP writes keyword delimiters/separators to address an update to Adobe Bridge between versions 11 and 12 that created an issue reading multiple keywords written by TTP.
- Fixed the "Open in Photo Viewer" option for selected or all images listed in Search when using right-click or menu option to display them.
- Fixed Search buttons height to display text correctly.
OCTOBER 27, 2021
- If a suggested person is already tagged in an image, suggestions for faces in the same image are filtered out.
- Fixed application crashes when an image is updated/changed using third-party software while the image is open in Photo Viewer, and either a "force writing metadata" or "force rescan" is run on that image.
- Eliminated a face quality check that reduced the number of unknown faces evaluated for suggestions, resulting in an increase in suggestions for all users.
OCTOBER 26, 2021
- Added navigation with CTRL + > or < to more easily select a face or image when viewing in People Detail and Photo View.
- Added more control over the actions to be applied for selected faces on Suggested and Unknown views, during an attempt to flip pages.
- Improved image scanning performance, reducing periodic application crashes with unsupported files.
- Improved the Search results to filter duplicate images and temporary files.
- Enhanced the Edit Name on People Detail view to address issues with Windows 7.
- Enhanced visibility for Sort dropdown list on People’s View.
- Fixed a bug creating an error message when updating entries.
OCTOBER 5, 2021
- Updated the VCRuntime DLLs missing for some users during installation.
- Added backward navigation through the face clusters on People Detail, Suggested, and Unknown Views. Now users can move forward or backward through the grouped faces using "ALT + <" via keyboard or the new icon/button in the navigation bar. Now "ALT + > or <" moves the pages according to the arrow key used.
- Fixed the Uninstaller not removing the existing version.
- Fixed the Edit Name on People Detail, allowing the user to edit the associated name.
- Fixed an issue on People Detail Images when there was a selected image and the screen was resized, losing the current selection.
SEPTEMBER 24, 2021
- New face detector provides greater accuracy and performance:
- 2x faster scanning images and detecting faces.
- Depending on computer hardware and average image size, expect 3,500 to 6,000 images per hour.
- 25% fewer false positives
- where the software mis-identifies an object as a face
- 60% fewer false negatives
- where the software misses a real face in an image
- 2x faster scanning images and detecting faces.
- Added capability to select the top navigation buttons including the main People, Suggestions, and Unknown tabs
- Press ALT, then tab through the menu options, and press space bar to execute/click.
- Added navigation between image files on People (inside Photos)
- Hold CTRL key and use the arrow keys to navigate through the photos.
- Added a new shortcut in Photo Viewer to navigate through photos when viewing a batch of images while in the Tags tab.
- Use “ALT <” or “ALT >” to cycle/switch between the files, similar to using “< and >” when in the People tab.
- Added icons to the TTP System tray menu options.
- Added an icon menu option to the main File menu to directly “Shut down Tag That Photo”, replicating the ability that exists in the System Tray menu.
- Added the “Delete Selected Face” menu option in Photo Viewer (matches keyboard shortcut option).
- Added “Delete Untagged Face(s)” menu option in Photo Viewer, (matches keyboard shortcut option).
- Right panel image preview expands/contracts to a max of ⅓ of current screen size on People view (for Face and Photos tab), Suggested, and Unknown Views.
- TTP now writes an additional date field to XMP called “DateTimeOriginal”. This field is used by certain third-party apps as the “Exif Date Taken”, most often seen with HEIC images.
- Temp files no longer appear in search list results.
Note: Some third-party apps (including Windows Explorer) create a temp file during an image update (image edit or metadata change). They may copy the original image to a temp image, make the change and, if change is successful, overwrite the original image.
- TTP accommodates this flow, however, to ensure optimum performance, it is recommended that TTP be closed/shut down from the System Tray altogether while making changes to images outside TTP.
- To avoid the issue altogether, use the exclusion rules for any monitored folder to filter out temp files from the scanning process.
- Temp files no longer appear in search list results.
- Added image rotation option for PNG image files.
- Removed duplicate suggestions for someone matched with more than one face in the same picture during the addition of a new image file.
- Fixed thumbnail size for images where the scale was increased or decreased for an image.
- Fixed reconciliation process related to metadata and local database when an image is scaled up or down using third-party software.
- Fixed Unknown faces not being displayed under certain conditions.
- Fixed an issue where metadata tags did not include the current image dimensions.
- Fixed the Menu icon size for Win 7 systems by adding a max-height property for the images and menus to avoid view issues.
- In People View, fixed the name search filter text when the result returns no one.
- In Unknown View, fixed the blank screen precipitating a crash when loading a new library.
- Fixed an issue where metadata tags were not saved correctly under certain conditions (IPTC Metadata Caption, and EXIF XPTitle, and XPSubject).
JULY 26, 2021
- New Personal Lite plan to provide a more affordable option for users with fewer images/people they want to tag (<= 100 people).
- Live Folder Monitoring: Selects which folders are being continuously monitored for changes by TTP. This avoids unnecessary scanning by TTP if another photo management program you use generates temporary image files to perform its job. For example, let’s say you use a certain program to add a GPS location to a group of photos. That program may create a temporary image file, add the GPS coordinates, delete the original image, and rename the temporary file to the original file name. If TTP was monitoring this folder, TTP would try to scan each new temporary file as it is created, then the file would be renamed, and that would generate another scan. That would cause unnecessary scanning and slow your system. If this is something you do regularly, you can toggle monitoring off, perform all changes with the other program and, when finished, ask TTP to scan the folder for changes using the TTP Windows Explorer menu. Access this feature via a toggle switch in the Library folder panel.
- Keyboard Shortcuts and Menu Options
- Suggested & Unknown View:
- CTRL K marks selected faces as Confirmed/Accepted, or all faces if none selected.
- CTRL X marks selected faces as Rejected, or all faces if none selected.
- CTRL N opens the Person Selector panel to name the selected faces, or all faces if none selected.
- CTRL D or CTRL DEL to mark selected faces for deletion, or all faces if none selected.
- CTRL < and CTRL > for navigating between the face thumbnails.
- CTRL Z to Undo last action.
- Suggested & Unknown View:
- Deleted Faces Tracking: Faces deleted from images are now tracked by TTP, so they are no longer restored when an image is rescanned. To view deleted faces, from Photo Viewer, select View/Show Deleted Faces from the menu. Right-click on a deleted face to restore it.
NOTE: Installation of this update is required to enable this function; and it will begin tracking following the update.
- UI Improvements:
- All action icons are now located in one row at top of the window for Suggestions and Unknown views.
- Save/Reset/More buttons have been removed from the bottom of the window, allowing for additional faces to be displayed there.
- Deselect Faces: ESC key deselects faces on People, Suggested, and Unknown views.
- All actions started by users will have priority over background system tasks. For example, TTP periodically scans image folders for changes as a background task. If a user executes a “force rescan” from Win Explorer then that task will receive a higher priority and pause the background job. This higher priority “pausing” also applies to metadata updates resulting from tagging.
- Photo Viewer:
- Top-left face thumbnail is automatically selected when entering Photo Viewer.
- If the image file being displayed has multiple faces, hold CTRL and use > or < to select the next or previous face.
- Should the Person Selector panel be opened, hit ESC to return. No thumbnail will be selected; however, CTRL and > or < will select a thumbnail.
- CTRL-N will bring up name dialog for selected thumbnail. CTRL-Z will undo last action.
Added keyboard controls to the Calendar icon/button:
- On the Tags tab, navigate to the icon with the TAB key.
- Press SPACEBAR or click the icon. All the selections inside this component are done by pressing the SPACEBAR key.
- With the Calendar dialog displayed:
- Select DAY with arrow keys.
- Select MONTH with CTRL + Key UP once, then use the arrows to select the desired MONTH. Use CTRL + Key DOWN to return to DAY selection.
- To select a different YEAR, use CTRL + Key UP once, then use the arrows to select the desired YEAR. Use CTRL + Key DOWN to return to MONTH selection.
- To close the Calendar, press the SPACEBAR or ENTER key.
- Where duplicate images are found during Search OR if existing images are already in the target export folder, TTP will export only a single image copy per folder. This supports the use case for doing "OR" searches. Example: search for "Mary", export to "C:\temp-mary-or-paul", then search for "Paul" and export to the same folder. Now you will have a folder containing images that have "Mary," "Paul," or "Mary and Paul" (with no duplicates).
- Fixed an issue related to changes to selected people on Suggested and Unknown People view causing keyboard commands to lock up.
- Resolved issue to correctly read image orientation from HEIC & RAW Formats that support EXIF orientation.
- Photo Viewer:
- Disabled typing in Date & Time field in Tags tab to avoid issues related to modifying/assigning dates. Date & Time now managed via Calendar dialog. (Refer to Updates above.)
April 12, 2021
- Along with TIFF, JPG, and PNG formats, TTP now supports viewing and scanning HEIC and RAW images using Microsoft-supplied image drivers. To test whether you have the appropriate drivers available on your system:
- Launch TTP. From the Help menu, select Diagnostics, then select Check RAW & HEIC Image Support. This function launches a window and attempts to display a HEIC and a RAW formatted image. If you can view the images, you’re all set. If you cannot view the images, you will need to install the necessary drivers. (see page 4 of the User Guide, also available from the Help menu.)
- Updated suggestion algorithm such that faces in identical or nearly identical images are not overlooked.
- Increase allowable memory usage for recognition engine.
- Implement method to clean up any suggestions for faces in rare instances where tagging an unidentified face can leave an orphaned suggestion for that face.
- Address a bug where TTP erroneously removes references to images and faces associated with images within local TTP folders. For example, this would occur in cases where an excluded folder "P:\Oly" would cause TTP to erroneously clean up images in "P:\Olympics_2010”.
- Address a rare issue in folder scan job that can cause premature abort if an image isn't located where the database suggests it is located.
- Fix an issue where a lone, unclustered and unidentified face can be orphaned under certain circumstances.
February 25, 2021
- Last Scan Date: new column added to search list. This tracks the last time an image was scanned by TTP. This can be used to sort more recently added images when conducting a Search of any folder and these images can be reviewed via the Photo Viewer.
- Save Last Backup Location: Easily re-use same location when running another backup.
- Fix a bug to ensure the library scan rules apply correctly.
- Prevent arrow key navigation on Photo Details dialog when selecting manual face, as well as when using the person naming tool.
- Address synchronization issues that could occur with the library scan rules dialog.
- Fix intermittent crash on Unidentified Face viewer when screen resize events occur.
- Clicking "cancel" on scan rules dialog will not cause a folder scan. Clicking "save" will launch a folder scan to determine images to be included or excluded change per Rules changes.
January 21, 2021
- Fix bug where file scan could error out if previously undetected folder structure changes were made.
- Retired the feature to rebuild thumbnail images as it was no longer necessary. Replaced with a function to regenerate all the face thumbnails from source images for the entire database, which runs as an interruptible background task.
January 11, 2021
- TTP data can be backed up, restored, and reset. See Options on the Settings screen for Personal and Family Plan subscribers.
- Ability to restore a backup from one machine to another if the image paths match.
- The library rules dialog no longer forces you to wait while it does an initial folder scan. The tree view populates dynamically as the folders are scanned in the background. Dialog can be closed/resumed at any time.
- Improved the underlying file monitoring system so it is more defensive in the event of an unexpected interruption or issue.
- Identified and fixed a crash scenario involving the Unidentified Person view.
- Fixed a bug where you could force the rescan of a sub folder of an excluded folder and it would re-add those images (they would be purged again on the next full library scan).
- Fixed a bug where the image count of a folder scan would be out of sync with the actual image count.
- Fixed a bug where the routine that determined the total number of files to process would not account for files in excluded folders. These files would be skipped, but the progress would then finish before it reached 100%.
TTP will no longer add hidden sub-folders to a library
- Fix to allow TTP to correctly generate thumbnails for jpgs with indexed pixel formats when the thumbnail rectangle extends outside of the image boundaries.
- Fixed an issue where, on occasion, the "Uninstaller" would not correctly shut down the SDK processes, which might result in a file lock error when re-installing Tag That Photo.
December 14, 2020
- Fix to allow TTP to correctly generate thumbnails for jpegs with indexed pixel formats when the thumbnail rectangle extends outside of the image boundaries.
- Change the underlying file monitoring system to be more defensive in the event of an unexpected interruption or issue.
- Fix an issue where, occassionally, the "Uninstaller" would not correctly shut down the SDK processes, which might result in a file lock error when re-installing Tag That Photo.
December 4, 2020
- Right-click on a Face thumbnail: You can select "Regenerate from Source Image" if the wrong face/person is appearing.
- New feature on Settings page for Data Recovery including:
- Rebuild Face Thumbnails: If you notice thumbnails missing when paging through People, Suggestions, or Unknowns, this indicates the thumbnail database is possibly corrupted. Thumbnails are extracted from the original image to make the display happen quickly.
- Reconcile Faces with Recognition Engine: In rare cases, the underlying recognition database won't have a record of Faces that are being tagged. This can be caused by disk corruption or power failures. If you are experiencing repeated errors then it may be necessary to run this task.
- Modifications made to trial subscription time periods: 20-day and 40-day trial periods.
- More robust manual face tagger: The aspect ratio is maintained under a variety of image types. Most importantly, immediately upon saving the face, Tag That Photo takes you directly to the naming dialog, saving a keystroke/mouse-click.
October 15, 2020
- TTP new face detection module exposes a quality value for each detected face. This is now used for two purposes: 1) reduces duplicate faces found and 2) a detected face quality of 9.0 or higher is required before that face is included in suggestions for the recognition system.
- Significant improvements in the background job processor. It now consists of three separate task queues, distinguished by priority. Each task is automatically assigned a priority of High, Normal, or Low. When a task is queued up, if it's assigned a higher priority than any currently running task, that task is paused and the higher priority task executes immediately. This improves the screen response time during tagging, among other benefits.
- Fixes for crashes on the Suggestions screen related to deleted faces; and other minor fixes.
July 31, 2020
- All detected faces are identified when viewing the photo thumbnail in the right hand pane AND in the Photo Viewer - previously only the selected face was highlighted.
- Yellow border used for selected face; green border for tagged face; and red border for unknown face.
- Modifications to information display at bottom of main window to expand file - names shown while write or scanning activity is happening.
- Double-clicking on faces will pop-up the tagging utility just as if you clicked on the ellipsis (3 dots) button.
- Face thumbnails sorted in Photo Viewer right-hand pane based on identification status - Unknowns to bottom/right of list
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- DELETE key available across the application to delete currently selected faces (CTRL+Z to Undo).
- CTRL+DEL on photo viewer screen will delete all unknowns.
- CTRL+DEL on unidentified faces screen,will mark all thumbnails shown on current page for deletion.
- CTRL+A will select All for every screen that supports multi-selection
- ESC will clear any existing selections (essentially a reset)
- Added a root node in the search results tree - so that images spanning root library folders would be available for review and export.
- Certain navigation steps were causing crashes - from one screen to another.Modifications to the face detector to pick up smaller and lower quality faces.
June 26, 2020
- Modifications to the face detector to pick up smaller and lower quality faces.
- Increased number of results in Search to unlimited from previous limit of 500 per Search.
- In Search view, added a folder browser for search results. Allows user to navigate search results based on the folders that the images are found.
- Image rotation available (for Personal and Family Plans).
Metadata writing MUST be enabled due to rotation being written into the Exif info so that other applications will also perform the proper rotation.
- Found in the following locations:
- Photo Viewer Edit menu (Edit -> Rotate Left/Right).
Rotate images in 90 degree increments - left or right
- Search view header menu section beside the “Export” and “View/tag” options.
- Right-click option on thumbnails in the search results list.
- Photo Viewer Edit menu (Edit -> Rotate Left/Right).
- Found in the following locations:
- Known issues related to rotation:
- TIF files: TTP uses the Windows operating system to generate thumbnails of images for display purposes in search results. Windows does not correctly recognize the orientation attribute embedded into TIF images, so regardless of a TIF's rotation it will appear in its native, unrotated form in the results view. However, TTP can now correctly read/write orientation attribute to TIF images, so viewing the photo in Photo Viewer or anywhere else in TTP where the full-size image is displayed will have it rotated correctly.
- Some PNG files cannot be rotated by modifying the Exif orientation attribute because the image has no Exif section to write the data into.
- Known issues related to rotation:
- Exclude existing image metadata regions that did not include a name. Some images from older iPhones had empty XMP face tags with references to a contact ID number but no name.
- Add additional checks around folder tree accessibility. This protects you if your photos are located on a removable drive or network drive and temporarily unavailable. Instead of removing the images from the library - a warning is provided.
- Prompt user when root library path not accessible.
- Fix rare crash issue that occurred in Unidentified Faces screen.
March 9, 2020
- Improved face recognition for greater suggestion accuracy and unidentified faces clustering. On initial run, a status message stating "rebuilding face clusters" will appear at the bottom right of the task bar in the application.
- Fix to geo-tagging feature to address OpenMapServer API issues.
- Uses new Microsoft runtime for recognition engine.
February 7, 2020
- Added a “Cancel” button to the library folder rules window.
Added a “Update Metadata” button in the Settings view.
- Metadata importer correctly reads MWG regions when the unit attribute is missing.
- MS Photo region treats “.” character as a decimal separator regardless of locale.
- Title and Description treated as separate metadata fields; allows more flexibility in adding metadata.
November 14, 2019
- New feature to "Force Write" image metadata to selected image(s). Access at the File menu of the Photo Viewer utility, as well as via file or folder selection in Windows File Explorer (WFE) using the shell extension.
- Regenerates individual image thumbnails in People View, Suggestions View and Unidentified Faces view (if missing).
- Improved image metadata formatting issue based on user feedback. Output from TTP is now completely compatible with applications that read/write MWG metadata correctly, for example, jAlbum and GeoSetter.
- Improved “Regenerate All Thumbnails” to effectively respond to use cases.
October 22, 2019
- Imports MWG face regions in the iMatch format to resolve compatibility issue reported by user.
- Implement a new shell extension feature to force a re-scan of all images in a folder. To use, right-click on a folder and choose "Force re-scan of all images in this folder”.
- Fixed bug causing system to “hang” in specific user scenarios when writing metadata.
- Fixed a bug where an image was sometimes erroneously removed if multiple libraries pointed to the same folder and one library was removed.
September 27, 2019
- User able to select log level from Settings. Higher trace levels require more space but offer more detail when trouble-shooting a user issue. No need to modify from the Tag That Photo Default setting unless user is experiencing an issue.
- Photo Viewer description expanded to maximum of 2,000 chars and displays on multiple lines.
- People Chooser allows searching for any character in a name rather than "starts with". This will allow searching on last names.
- Modification to location/address module for improved mapping to the four (4) available metadata fields.
- Fix crash bug on People Details Face Gallery screen.
- Improved import of images that are pixel-level duplicates of other images but have differences in metadata.
August 30, 2019
- Added a feature to completely rebuild the face thumbnails database. Choose File->Rebuild Face Thumbnail Database.
- Added a switch in Settings that enables option to write face names to metadata keywords.
- Writes face regions & names in both MWG and MS MPRI formats.
- Writes face names to IPTC "PeopleInImage" location.Reads from EXIF & IPTC description.
- Reads and writes "DateTime Taken" in EXIF and IPTC locations.
- Reads and writes Keywords from EXIF and IPTC & XMP locations.
- Reads and writes GPS & Address information from / to EXIF/IPTC/XMP.
- Changed toggle styling on batch-tagging screen to use radio buttons instead of styled link text.
- Stability improvements.
- The Photo Viewer dialog enables batch tagging of images.
- Photo Viewer allows modification of image Date / Time Taken.
- Photo Viewer allows modification of image Description / Caption.
- Face names now import as keywords.
- TTP no longer displays empty pop-up window when typing in a text box and there are no suggestion results.
- Fixed bug where the People View filter box wasn't resetting after leaving and returning to the screen.
June 10, 2019
- Improved synchronization between background operations propagating to the front-end UI.
- Greatly improved speed on scheduled folder scanning. Initial scans will not be affected, but subsequent scheduled scans are faster as Tag That Photo now only checks for a change on the file last write time vs comparing a pixel hash for every image being tracked.
- Newly detected images in a folder are processed first; then changed items; then removed items.
- Fixed bug where certain accented characters were not being properly handled in the People Chooser view.
- Fixed bug where a confirmation prompt generated an endless stream of confirmation boxes, depending on certain factors.